Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Green Tea Chiffon Cake


I had decided to do a Green Tea Chiffon or Matcha Chiffon over the long weekend as Monday was a public holiday cos of Hari Raya; I have the book Okashi - sweet treats made with love by Keiko Ishida which has a wonderful recipe on "Green Tea Chiffon Cake"; and I came across a blog, Anncoo Journal, that had adapted the recipe from Okashi.
Below is the recipe from Okashi and I too had modified some ingredients and omitted and added some steps in the method:

70g Cake Flour
10g - 15g Green tea powder (I am using Ujinotsuyu Matcha powder - the best I reckoned and below is a photo of it.)
5 Egg yolks
20g Caster sugar 
70g Water
60g Vegetable Oil

Meringue
90g Caster sugar
10g Corn flour
5 Egg whites

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 150C -160C (depends on your oven. I used 150C).
  • Combined and sift cake flour and green tea powder together to form the dry mixture. Set aside. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add water and corn oil and blend together. Add the dry mixture and mix until batter becomes sticky. This will be batter A. Set aside.
  • To make the meringue, combine sugar and corn flour. Set aside. Beat egg whites. When the whites become foamy, add half the sugar and corn flour mixture and continue beating for a  minute or two. Add the remaining sugar and flour mixture and beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
  • Add some meringue to A and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold to incorporate completely. However, try not to overmix it as this will result in a not-so-light and fluffy texture.
  • Pour batter into an ungreased 20cm chiffon cake pan. Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes. I suggest you start watching your cake after 30 minutes.
  • When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool in pan.
  • Once cake has cooled completely, carefully run a knife around the sides of the cake to loosen it.


I must say the chiffon tasted great although I found it a tad sweet. Perhaps I should reduce the amount of caster sugar to 10g?


No comments:

Post a Comment